Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Representative artwork

     This video was created for my Video Art project in Electronic Arts Class from Fall 2010.

Due to technical difficulties, I wasn't able to display the video inside the blog. Please follow the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ek84cX0JhE

      Two Sides of the Same Coin is my personal story demonstrated through narrative voice-over. However, the visual details of the film that accompany the voice-over symbolize the distinction between two different parts of me.

   The basis of my filmmaking is centered around abstract qualities of everyday objects and situations. Natural occurrences, such as lighting, signs, the placement of normal objects around the city are what I use to symbolize the concept, which is that I am made up of the two places I am exposed to regularly, city and country. Also, I wanted to show the locations through the perspective of a person's eyes, like they were experiencing it uncensored.

   Visual effects such as blurring and focusing is a tool I used several times to illustrate how I travel
constantly between two different places and how my mindset changes depending on the place. In the park scenes, I focus and blur between leaves, trees, and water, which is more calming and serene. In the city scenes, more abrupt, sudden, and noisy shots are incorporated to show what I've experienced.

   Lastly, I combined still images of both locations with a split echo voice over to convey that moments of city and country fill up my day. The ending of the film was intended to act as a reflection and summary of all the previous moments of the film.

   In the future, I would like to explore more with the visual effects of filmmaking such as effects that can be accomplished with a camera or a editing program like Final Cut Pro or Premiere. Narrative story is something I want to pursue, craft, and develop with creative cinematography as well. Combining several mediums in one film to create transmedia projects, such as live action, stop motion animation and still life, among others, is also something I want to explore.

Thanks for reading,

Jennifer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment