Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Week 9- Best Photoshop Scripting Tutorial

The best tutorial in existence is the different documentation for Photoshop Scripting. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshop/scripting.html I tried to find a decent Photoshop scripting video tutorial, but most were inappropriate with loud music over them or were insufficient.

This tutorial from http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/your-first-photoshop-script.html is the best one I have found so far. It is detailed and thorough.

It walks the "student" through the simple basics of JavaScript. The first part of the tutorial is a detailed listing of file extensions (from the documentation), as well as detailed locations of where to put one's scripts and how to access them (also from the documentation). The tutorial explains the components of Javascript for people that are unfamiliar with them. Some tutorials require that one have specific knowledge beforehand to understand any of the concepts. Also this website actually gives a link to the documentation, which is convenient and encourages the student to explore further and learn themselves.

A text editor is recommended to write JavaScript. I think this is useful for the same reason we use it for Mel in Maya, to save code in steps and versions. I found my ExtendScript Toolkit already on my computer while searching for how to find it on the internet. However, I will have to take tutorials on the toolkit because trying to run for loops from examples on the internet just gave me errors. EarthBoundLight has a tutorial for the toolkit.

Lastly, the tutorial demonstrates the use of some code, specifying what it does and proper syntax and punctuation for general JavaScript code. Although I knew most of the content in this tutorial, I think it provides a solid basis for JavaScript in general for people who are completely unfamiliar.

No comments:

Post a Comment